GroupM is the leading global media investment management company serving as the parent to WPP media agencies including Mindshare, MediaCom, Wavemaker and Essence, as well as the programmatic digital media platform, Xaxis, each global operations in their own right with leading market positions. With 800 people based in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane, GroupM’s primary purpose is to maximize performance of WPP’s media agencies by operating as leader and collaborator in trading, content creation, sports, digital, finance, proprietary tool development and other business-critical capabilities. GroupM’s focus is to deliver unrivalled marketplace advantage to its clients, stakeholders and people.
YOUR ROLE IN A NUTSHELL:
The client development manager is the lynchpin of the team, taking the lead across an agency portfolio to create and convert outcome-focused opportunities for our clients. You will work collaboratively with each of the Xaxis teams to drive client-centricity in everything we do, and develop strong relationships with agency and client stakeholders. You will demonstrate strong technical operations knowledge to build credibility, while applying a commercial lens across your work. Driven by success, you will proactively seek out opportunities to improve yourself and our ways of working to better effect.
REPORTING OF THE ROLE:
Client Development Director
Client Development Executive
PBU and ad operations teams, GroupM agencies and their clients, commercial director, trading & investment, vendors, publisher partners
WHAT YOU SHOULD SPEND YOUR TIME DOING:
In order for our business to work, you will be required to spend time of certain areas of the business and make sure that your direct reports do the same. Your key responsibilities are as follows:
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of all aspects of programmatic media, including (but not limited to) supply, ad tech 1st and 3rd party data, optimisation techniques, auction mechanics, tagging and tracking, dynamic creative, native, measurement, brand safety, viewability, audiences, and analytics
- Ensure that opportunities are evaluated for feasibility prior to booking, leading the management of expectations with clients
- Deliver pitch-quality deliverables at all times, consistently careful and methodical with a strong eye for detail to ensure accuracy in all work delivered
- Develop and execute ongoing client development plans to improve your client base qualitatively and quantitatively
- Build strong client relationships; be the day-to-day trusted partner and contact for clients and agencies
- Demonstrate intimate knowledge of client and agency business practices, planning methodologies, investment strategies, and challenges
- Be able to clearly articulate the Xaxis proposition, highlighting client advantages across trading, technology, brand safety, performance, data, and outcomes
- Consistently achieve agency investment forecasts for Xaxis, proactively maintaining exact forecasts of activity and acting accordingly to address gaps and opportunities
- Ensure 100% accuracy within Salesforce of booked, pipeline, and forecasts, including adherence to current best practice, naming conventions, and data standards
- Proactively identify and develop opportunities to grow revenue from clients
- Live and breathe the GroupM behaviours every day
- Demonstrate unparalleled communication skills across all facets of your work
- Respond well to guidance and feedback from head of client development, clients, agencies, and others
WHAT IT TAKES
Attention to detail
Monitoring the quality and accuracy of both your own and others work, you act autonomously to verify information and resolve inaccuracies.
Planning & organization
You track process and completion of activities to accomplish objectives, working effectively under short deadlines. You manage others to make use of their time.
Teamwork & collaboration
Lead the team to achieve common goals, you initiate collaboration with others and delegate tasks effectively. You always strive to consistently exceed service standards.
You keep other people informed and tailor messages to suit others’ needs, adapting communication based on personality style.
Able to distinguish between critical and irrelevant pieces of information, you gather data from a variety of sources to reach a sound decision.
You handle pressure situations confidently, able to deal with changing circumstances and ambiguity. You maintain an optimistic perspective of the resulting benefits of change.
Proactivity/taking the initiative
Defining ambitious but realistic personal goals, you also coach others on how to focus their energy on achieving results.
You autonomously solve complex problems with minimal supervision required. You proactively follow up after implementing a solution, sharing lessons and what was learned.
Candidates will have 5+ years’ experience working in a programmatic or digital role. They will bring a technical and operational knowledge of the programmatic eco-system, including major DSPs and SSPs; a strong understanding of performance marketing and ability to drive efficiency, as well as analysing data and delivering insights; and a solid understanding of conversion tracking and ad serving technologies, tracking set up, the workflow and troubleshooting. They will have strong written and verbal communication skills, including a confidence in presenting and experience communicating the benefit of marketing opportunities to brands. They will be a self-starter with experience in developing and leading across projects outside campaign day-to-day to drive team growth. Experience working in a digital agency, or a publisher/agency/client-side trading is highly desirable.
- Excellent excel skills
- Experience in, but not essential is executing campaigns through buying platforms such as DV360, The Trade Desk, Xandr, Amazon, Adobe or similar
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Able to form strong relationships with internal/external teams
- Experience managing 1-2 direct reports is preferable